Frequently Asked Questions
VA Loan FAQ #34:
Can I make a home purchase outside of the US?
The VA does not allow veteran mortgages for properties outside the United States. The VA does allow purchases in American territories and possessions. These areas include Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, American Samoa , Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. If your proposed purchase is in one of these areas, you should be able to apply in the usual ways, but check with your VA rep for any special requirements or conditions based on the laws which cover lending in those territories.
VA Loan Questions
- FAQs Index
- What is a VA loan?
- Is using my VA loan eligibility a good idea?
- What can I buy with a VA home loan?
- What is the maximum amount I can borrow with a VA home loan?
- What can be done when both husband and wife are eligible?
- I am a veteran who purchased a home with my spouse utilizing my VA eligibility. I am now divorced and my spouse was awarded the home. How do I get my eligibility back?
- I heard the VA has an inventory of foreclosed homes. How can I find out more about this?
- What role does the VA play in helping me get a loan?
- Do I have to take a fixed rate VA loan?
- Should I get a pre-approved loan?
- How do I get proof of eligibility?
- I don't have an honorable discharge, am I automatically disqualified from VA loan eligibility?
- What if I can't find my DD214 form?
- Is it possible to use my VA eligibility more than once?
- What is the one-time exception for renewing VA eligibility?
- Can I get eligibility for another VA loan even though I am still working on the first one?
- Can I use my VA loan to buy a rental property?
- What happens if I file bankruptcy and wish to buy another home at some point?
- How is my VA home loan eligibility determined?
- Can I get a home equity refinance with the VA?
- Am I limited to buying an existing home with a VA loan?
- Are there fees associated with my VA home loan?
- Who is exempt from paying the VA funding fee?
- Can I bring on a co-signer on my VA home loan?
- How does the Veterans Benefits Act change my loan process and entitlements?
- Can the VA help if I think I may be encountering discrimination in my search for a home?
- Can I use a VA loan to buy a reposessed house?
- How can I help myself before applying for a VA home loan?
- What help does the VA offer in the homebuying process?
- Will the VA help if my property is poorly built or defective?
- Can I buy a farm with a VA loan?
- Can I make a home purchase outside of the US?
- What if I die before paying off my VA loan?
- Once I sell my property, am I released from my VA loan obligation?
- What happens if my mortgage is sold to another mortgage company?