A VA approved lender; Mortgage Research Center, LLC – NMLS #1907. Not affiliated with any government agency. Not available in AZ, IL, MN, NV, or NY.

Keep track of VA loan requirements for veteran home mortgages. You will soon realize how little red tape there really is in using this mortgage to buy or refinance a home. Some of the things needed for your loan application are your social security number and employment history.

Get a VA Home Loan quote today

Start My VA Loan

NMLS #1907 | Equal Housing Lender | VA Approved Lender; Not a government agency
Not available in AZ, IL, MN, NV, or NY

VA Loan Requirements

VA Home Loan Guidelines

Before you start the loan process, you'll need to have some information at hand for all loan applicants:

  1. Social Security numbers
  2. Residence addresses for the past two years
  3. Names and addresses of your employers over past two years
  4. Your current gross monthly salary
  5. Names, addresses, account numbers and balances on all checking and savings accounts
  6. Names, addresses, account numbers, balances and monthly payments on all open loans
  7. Addresses and loan information of other real estate owned
  8. Estimated value of furniture and personal property
  9. Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 (for veterans only)
  10. W2's for the past two years and current check stubs
  11. For self-employed individuals, you will need to provide personal tax returns for the past two years, current income statement and balance sheet for the business
In addition, you will need to pay for a credit report and appraisal of the property.

Important Veteran Documents

The VA helps veterans, eligible surviving spouses, and active duty servicemembers become homeowners through the VA Home Loan Guaranty. These loans are provided by private lenders while the VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide homebuyers with more favorable terms. Before beginning, make sure you have all of your important military documents ready.

Your DD Form 214

Your DD-214 is your proof of military service. It shows the nature of your discharge, dates of service, and current classification (retired, separated, Guard or Reserve status). The DD-214 is one of the most important documents you'll get when you leave military service. You'll need it to claim military benefits including VA loans, the GI Bill, and medical services provided by the VA.

Certificate of Eligibility

Before you get a VA loan, you will need a VA Certificate of Eligibility. It will establish that you meet the necessary guidelines to take advantage of your hard-earned VA loans benefits.If you are a military veteran, a VA approved lender will be help you get this document.

[ - Contact a Lender to Request Your COE - ]