Frequently Asked Questions
VA Loan FAQ #24:
Who is exempt from paying the VA funding fee?
While there is a funding fee for a VA home loan, some people are exempt from paying. If you are a veteran getting disability compensation for service-related medical issues, or are entitled to get compensation if you aren't drawing retirement pay, you are exempt from the VA funding fee for your VA home loan.
Also, surviving spouses of those who died in the service, or from service related disabilities are also exempt. It doesn't matter in this case whether the spouse has any of their own entitlements. Remember that the VA has the last word on who is exempt, and some issues may be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. If you have any doubts, ask your local VA rep to review your service records (or your spouse's records) and get a determination from the VA.
VA Loan Questions
- What is a VA loan?
- Is using my VA loan eligibility a good idea?
- What can I buy with a VA home loan?
- What is the maximum amount I can borrow with a VA home loan?
- What can be done when both husband and wife are eligible?
- I am a veteran who purchased a home with my spouse utilizing my VA eligibility. I am now divorced and my spouse was awarded the home. How do I get my eligibility back?
- I heard the VA has an inventory of foreclosed homes. How can I find out more about this?
- What role does the VA play in helping me get a loan?
- What are the advantages of a VA loan?
- Do I have to take a fixed rate VA loan?
- Should I get a pre-approved loan?
- How do I get proof of eligibility?
- I don't have an honorable discharge, am I automatically disqualified from VA loan eligibility?
- What if I can't find my DD214 form?
- Is it possible to use my VA eligibility more than once?
- What is the one-time exception for renewing VA eligibility?
- Can I get eligibility for another VA loan even though I am still working on the first one?
- Can I use my VA loan to buy a rental property?
- What happens if I file bankruptcy and wish to buy another home at some point?
- How is my VA home loan eligibility determined?
- Can I get a home equity refinance with the VA?
- Am I limited to buying an existing home with a VA loan?
- Are there fees associated with my VA home loan?
- Who is exempt from paying the VA funding fee?
- Can I bring on a co-signer on my VA home loan?
- How does the Veterans Benefits Act change my loan process and entitlements?
- Can the VA help if I think I may be encountering discrimination in my search for a home?
- What if I can't find a house to buy with a pre-approved VA loan?
- Can I use a VA loan to buy a reposessed house?
- How can I help myself before applying for a VA home loan?
- What help does the VA offer in the homebuying process?
- Will the VA help if my property is poorly built or defective?
- Can I buy a farm with a VA loan?
- Can I make a home purchase outside of the US?
- What if I die before paying off my VA loan?
- Once I sell my property, am I released from my VA loan obligation?
- What happens if my mortgage is sold to another mortgage company?